Success means something different for everyone.
For some, it means getting the promotion they’ve been wanting; for others, it’s about ditching corporate life and following an entrepreneurial dream.
For some it’s about public recognition; for others, it’s entirely private. But the path to success–whatever it looks like–has the same fundamental steps for everyone.
Measure your progress against this roadmap and see where you are on your own journey to success.
1. Motivation is the key. Begin by learning the foundation of your inner motivation so you can keep yourself moving toward your vision of the future. No matter how farfetched your dream may be, motivation is the magic that can bring it within reach. All personal achievement, all great success, starts with the mind and ripples down to the heart. Know who you are and how you think so you can motivate yourself to work for what you want.
2. Keep creativity flowing. Imagination is the beginning of creation, so find ways to spark your creativity and new ideas. First you imagine what you want to create, then you create what you’ve imagined. Stay in imaginative shape by exercising your creativity and letting yourself go off the map. When creativity and determination work together, you can expect a masterpiece.
3. Stay positive to be productive. Attitude is a little thing, but it makes a big difference. Whether you succeed or fall short probably depends more on your attitude than your intelligence, your education, or your circumstances. To succeed, you have to act, feel look, and conduct yourself from a position of unstoppable positivity in the face of every challenge.
4. Have courage. It’s a particular form of courage, the willingness to take risks and act in the face of uncertainty. A huge part of success hinges on that courage. Those who are successful may not share many attributes, but they almost inevitably are courageous in the face of risk.
5. Know how to fail. When you learn to ski, the first thing you’re taught is how to fall without hurting yourself. When you find yourself failing or falling, don’t lose all control but do everything you can to lift yourself up. You may feel like quitting when you’re failing or losing, but to keep moving forward you have to stay focused on what you can do and make sure you move the needle, even if it’s just a bit. Remember, failure is a landmark on the way to success.
6. Work toward excellence. Once you’ve found something you’re really good at and truly interested in doing, pursue it, set goals and commit yourself to excellence. Do the best you can with everything you do, always aligning yourself with excellence. In every moment we have a choice, and we should always choose excellence. When you make that choice consistently over time, it makes the difference between ordinary and extraordinary.
7. Keep advancing. Help yourself stay in motion toward the success you want. Your inner drive will lead you to be of service to the world; it will help you focus and aim at doing something that will increase not only your happiness but also the well-being of others. When you’re constantly growing, developing, and learning, you are improving on the quality of what you have to offer. Sign your work with character, values and personal development.
When you foster great ideas and back them up with hard work, a positive attitude, courage, and a commitment to excellence, you’re pretty much bound to succeed in anything you do.
N A T I O N A L B E S T S E L L E R
THE LEADERSHIP GAP
What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
After decades of coaching powerful executives around the world, Lolly Daskal has observed that leaders rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers and failure persists. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
Additional Reading you might enjoy:
- 12 Successful Leadership Principles That Never Grow Old
- A Leadership Manifesto: A Guide To Greatness
- How to Succeed as A New Leader
- 12 of The Most Common Lies Leaders Tell Themselves
- 4 Proven Reasons Why Intuitive Leaders Make Great Leaders
- The One Quality Every Leader Needs To Succeed
- The Deception Trap of Leadership
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness has become a national bestseller.