Quality questions create a quality life. Successful people know how to ask better questions, and as a result they get better answers.
Questions exist to give us the answers we need to have the life we want, to give us the success we dream about and to make us accomplish the things we are meant to do. Whether we’re asking others or ourselves, questions bridge deeper insights and perceptions into who we are meant to be and what we are meant to do.
Reflect on these seven powerful questions and see how the answers influence your life:
1. What’s the one thing you really want to do but have never done? Why? Do you wish you could do something but find yourself stressing and complaining more than pursuing and creating? Sometimes what you are most afraid of is the very thing that will set you free. Don’t be afraid to do what you really want to do, even if you’ve never done it before. You may end up losing something good, but you’ll probably end up gaining something better.
2. What are your fundamental life values? How are you being true to them? When your values are clear to you, decisions and problem solving are far easier. When you can stand strong in your life values and remain humble in life and let your daily actions tell your story, those actions will life you up–because the height of your accomplishments will equal the depth of your values and convictions.
3. What would you do if money wasn’t an object? How would you spend your time? What would you desire? People put up with a lot of misery for a paycheck, but if you can free yourself from thinking in terms of money and focus instead on happiness, you’ll never end up in a miserable job. Better to have a short life doing what you love than have a long life being miserable at what you are doing.
4. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to admit them? It’s almost certainly a fear of being judged–the idea that people will think less of you. Unfortunately, that fear can make you timid, keeping you from putting yourself out in uncomfortable circumstances, and that, in turn, will limit your success.
5. How are you influencing the world? Being an influence is not about elevating yourself lifting others. The only true influence you can have is to talk about what is important and act on the things you say. If you think something is important, make a stand for it and bring people along with you. The ability to influence people is a vital skill.
6. If happiness is a currency, how rich are you? Do you know what makes you happy? Once you learn how to be happy, you won’t tolerate anything less. If you can find your way to the things that matter most, happiness will accumulate like money in the bank.
7. What are you most grateful for? If you focus on what you don’t have, you will never have enough, but being grateful can literally turn your life toward greatness. It can turn what you have into more than enough, jobs into joy, chaos into order, uncertainty into clarity, chaos into peace. Whatever you appreciate and give thanks for will grow stronger in your life.
I hope these questions have given you something to think about, that you will always be open to questioning and learning, and that your future will be filled with promising dreams.
N A T I O N A L B E S T S E L L E R
THE LEADERSHIP GAP
What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
After decades of coaching powerful executives around the world, Lolly Daskal has observed that leaders rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers and failure persists. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
Additional Reading you might enjoy:
- 12 Successful Leadership Principles That Never Grow Old
- A Leadership Manifesto: A Guide To Greatness
- How to Succeed as A New Leader
- 12 of The Most Common Lies Leaders Tell Themselves
- 4 Proven Reasons Why Intuitive Leaders Make Great Leaders
- The One Quality Every Leader Needs To Succeed
- The Deception Trap of Leadership
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness has become a national bestseller.