Everything around us is changing at warp speed, it seems–but some things will always remain the same. That’s why habits are so powerful. Some of the smallest of our daily habits have the power to always give us happiness and help steer us toward success.
Here are eight little habits that can make a big difference in your life and work:
1. Early to rise makes you healthy, wealthy, and wise. Numerous studies have linked early rising with success. An early morning wake-up carries benefits that include better planning and anticipation of problems, and more time to exercise, pray or meditate, and do the things that make you happy. Waking up an hour early pays off far more than it takes away.
2. Happiness comes to those who are curious. There is no stage in life when we can’t be learning something valuable. As long as you live, there will be something to learn, and as long as you follow your heart and your passions, you won’t miss out on learning. The tiny habit of being open to learning means you will always benefit, because life will never stop teaching.
3. Be the most respectful person you know. Respect is both given and earned through the habit of having reverence for people–listening to them, acknowledging their feelings, and treating them with high regard. The tiny habit of respect means you need to treat everyone with kindness. When you do, you are creating your own happiness.
4. Forgiveness takes you one step closer to your happiness. Make a habit of not holding grudges. They do nothing but weigh you down and infringe on your own happiness and success. Begin by forgiving yourself–an act that will allow you to take risks and accomplish great things. Then, exercise your empathy and compassion in forgiving others.
5. Achievement of integrity is the purpose of your life. Great men and women are not extraordinary superhumans, but ordinary people doing ordinary things with integrity. Integrity means honesty and fairness and doing what is right, even when it’s hard. When you make integrity a habit, nothing else matters.
6. The groundwork of all happiness is health. How you take care of yourself will make an enormous difference in the quality of your life. The tiny habits of caring for your body and spirit will give you the energy and stamina to tackle your goals and tasks–plus boost your overall well-being.
7. Believe in yourself and all that you are. Nothing will ever make you happier than having confidence in yourself. Confidence is the key to success–the thing that lets you look at the past without regret, stay grounded in the present, and prepare for the future without fear.
8. A day well spent gets you a good night sleep. Get enough sleep! It makes you feel healthier and happier, and it goes way beyond just boosting your mood or banishing exhaustion. Adequate sleep is a key part of your health and inner happiness. When you sleep better, you can live better and find more happiness.
It doesn’t take a huge effort to make a significant change in your life–just one or two tiny habits may be all you need. Get started today and you’ll soon be experiencing the rewards.
N A T I O N A L B E S T S E L L E R
THE LEADERSHIP GAP
What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
After decades of coaching powerful executives around the world, Lolly Daskal has observed that leaders rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers and failure persists. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
Additional Reading you might enjoy:
- 12 Successful Leadership Principles That Never Grow Old
- A Leadership Manifesto: A Guide To Greatness
- How to Succeed as A New Leader
- 12 of The Most Common Lies Leaders Tell Themselves
- 4 Proven Reasons Why Intuitive Leaders Make Great Leaders
- The One Quality Every Leader Needs To Succeed
- The Deception Trap of Leadership
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness has become a national bestseller.