We all have that inner voice–the that tells you you’re not going to make it.
That you’re not good enough. You’re undeserving. It’s too late. You can’t win. You fail at everything.
If you listen to it, that voice will dictate the beliefs you hold about yourself.
With these seven powerful beliefs, you can change that voice, change your thoughts, change your life.
Record them in your mind and heart so there’s no room for negativity and doubt, and then aim for the stars.
1. It’s better to fail than to play it too safe. Failure is not a grievous end but a stepping stone to success. That doesn’t make it easy or fun, but there are benefits to be gained. Life lessons tend to be repeated until you learn them, and pain is one way the universe gets your attention. Sometimes things fall apart so better things can fall together.
2. There is always an opportunity. The first step in any successful venture is recognizing the opportunity. Opportunities are in front of you every day, but to see them, you need to look at the world as a place of hope and possibility, not of limits, obstacles, and problems.
3. The only thing you can truly control is yourself. Trying to control every situation in life is a long losing battle with constant frustration and anger. The more you concentrate on what you can control–your own preparation and responses–the better you can adapt to whatever situation you find yourself in.
4. Hard work and perseverance are always rewarded. Maybe not immediately, and not in the way you think. But no matter what happens with your current endeavors, you’re getting closer to your goal. Every time you push yourself, every time you make yourself keep trying, you’re building the muscles that will carry you over the finish line.
5. Success is a destination, and it’s rarely a straight one. We can be thankful that our paths aren’t straight. Straight ahead is as boring and unchallenging as a superhighway, so embrace the chance to spend some time on the back roads. Often the best things in life are the ones we discover on the detours.
6. History will always be our best teacher. Don’t allow yourself to be locked in the past. But that doesn’t mean throwing it out entirely. Learn from your past (and history in general). Interpret it and frame it in a way that serves your future goals.
7. Everything is going to be all right–maybe not today, but eventually. As the proverb says, everything will be OK in the end–if it’s not OK, it’s not the end. Take the long view. Remember, you don’t navigate by looking at your feet but at the horizon.
We all have things we’re proud of, things we wish we could take back, things we want, things we’d like to do better.
A successful, happy life has a lot of components, and it looks different for everyone.
But a mindset of positive is one thing that virtually all of them have in common, and it’s something you can start creating today.
N A T I O N A L B E S T S E L L E R
THE LEADERSHIP GAP
What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
After decades of coaching powerful executives around the world, Lolly Daskal has observed that leaders rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers and failure persists. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
Additional Reading you might enjoy:
- 12 Successful Leadership Principles That Never Grow Old
- A Leadership Manifesto: A Guide To Greatness
- How to Succeed as A New Leader
- 12 of The Most Common Lies Leaders Tell Themselves
- 4 Proven Reasons Why Intuitive Leaders Make Great Leaders
- The One Quality Every Leader Needs To Succeed
- The Deception Trap of Leadership
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness has become a national bestseller.