If you’re not quite where you expected to be, you probably spend time wondering why.
Focus on some common causes–so you can figure out why you are not as successful as you want to be–and start addressing them.
Here are 13 common problems:
1. You don’t believe in yourself. If you don’t believe you can succeed, you won’t make a serious attempt. Sometimes you have to make yourself believe you can do something to realize you actually can.
2. You engage in negativity. A negative thinker sees a difficulty in every opportunity. Instead, become a positive thinker–one who sees an opportunity in every difficulty.
3. You follow the path of least resistance. Just because you aren’t struggling doesn’t mean you’re succeeding. Every great success requires some kind of struggle. Remember, success won’t come to you–you have to go out and make it happen.
4. You’ve lost sight of your goals. If you want to succeed, you need to set your goals high and resolve not to stop until you get there. The first step is deciding that you’re not going to stay where you are.
5. You spend too much time sitting around. Laziness is the secret ingredient that goes into most failures.
6. You are waiting for perfect. The real world doesn’t reward perfectionism; it rewards people who get things done.
7. You are easily distracted. We can always find a distraction if we look for one. But distractions destroy actions. The best we can do is starve our distractions and feed our focus.
8. You embrace your fears. Fear wants you to forget everything and run. But if you want to succeed, you have to do the thing that scares you the most and face everything that arises. Because everything you want is on the other side of your fears.
9. You hold on when you need to let go. Moving on doesn’t mean forgetting; it just means you have learned your lessons and now it’s time to embrace new challenges.
10. You make excuses rather than decisions. Success requires decision making, because life is about making choices and solving problems.
11. You ignore your gut instinct. Maybe that inner voice is talking to you and you’re not listening. Why are you ignoring your own instinct? What would it take for you to trust it?
12. You overcomplicate everything. When you believe you have lost power and control, nothing ever seems simple. Strip away the complications to get at the essence of the issues.
13. You’re waiting for permission. Sign your own permission slip. Be your own boss. Tell yourself you deserve your success and give yourself permission to embrace it.
N A T I O N A L B E S T S E L L E R
THE LEADERSHIP GAP
What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
After decades of coaching powerful executives around the world, Lolly Daskal has observed that leaders rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers and failure persists. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
Additional Reading you might enjoy:
- 12 Successful Leadership Principles That Never Grow Old
- A Leadership Manifesto: A Guide To Greatness
- How to Succeed as A New Leader
- 12 of The Most Common Lies Leaders Tell Themselves
- 4 Proven Reasons Why Intuitive Leaders Make Great Leaders
- The One Quality Every Leader Needs To Succeed
- The Deception Trap of Leadership
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness has become a national bestseller.