You can become a leader people actually want to follow, not just a leader people follow because they think they have to.
Being in a leadership position doesn’t automatically make you an effective and popular leader—someone people want to follow.
There are qualities you need to have and skills you must develop to become the kind of leader people want to emulate.
Here the ten ways you can become a leader that people want to follow.
1. Lead with humility. A humble leader acknowledges that they can succeed only with the help of others. Humility draws people to you not because you have all the answers, but because you recognize how much you can learn from others.
2. Have a compelling vision. Having a vision is good, and having a purposeful vision inspires others to work toward that purpose. When you have a vision worth following, you have a group of people that stays focused and do what it takes to be successful.
3. Take responsibility. Leaders must hold themselves accountable for their actions; they don’t blame others when things don’t go right. Be accountable for your actions and always remember that the decisions you make affect not only your own life but the lives of others as well.
4. Be consistent. Leaders set the tone for how others conduct themselves. If you are not consistent, those around you follow that cue. If you are not reliable, others feel uncomfortable and tentative. It is the essence of consistency that makes others want to emulate you.
5. Be affirming. Great leaders are of service, because at the heart of their leadership they know the true value of others. Always follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would wish to be treated.
6. Show you care. Great leaders understand the importance of personal connection and attention. Show you care with everything you say and do, and let people know they matter. Listen to them, talk to them, provide them with feedback.
7. Give respect. Loyalty starts with building relationships based on respect. Show those around you know how much you respect them and their work.
8. Communication is key. Great leaders are invariably good communicators. They know how to engage others in conversations that strengthen relationships to generate results. But developing good communication skills takes work, so make the most of every conversation and communication.
9. The best proof of leadership is trust. People want to follow leaders who are trustworthy—those whose behavior is genuine and who never leave others guessing. Make sure people can rely on you to be fair and consistent.
10. Always follow through. Being a leader carries a lot of responsibility. Often there’s too much to do in very little time. That’s why consistently following through is so important. If you say you will do something, do it. If you promise something, deliver. Remember people are counting on you.
At the end of the day, are you the kind of leader people want to follow? If yes, congrats! If no, what will you do differently?
We can become the kind of leader others want to follow. We only have to learn what is at the heart of every leader: We must lead from within.
Lead From Within It’s easy to allow leadership to be frittered away by complications. We must simply. Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.
N A T I O N A L B E S T S E L L E R
The Leadership Gap
What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
After decades of coaching powerful executives around the world, Lolly Daskal has observed that leaders rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers and failure persists. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness is being released by Portfolio May 2017.