Click below to Listen
As leaders, how aware are we of the obstacles we create for ourselves that impede our ability to achieve our own form of greatness? That’s the question that served as the basis of my conversation with my fellow leadership expert and friend, Lolly Daskal.
Lolly is the president and CEO of Lead From Within, a global consultancy that specializes in leadership and entrepreneurial development.
Lolly is also a prolific writer, not only creating regular content for her award-winning leadership blog, but she also writes a column for Inc.com and Psychology Today, as well as having her work appear in the Harvard Business Review and Fast Company. Although she’s the recipient of numerous awards and accolades, the one that probably best describes Lolly is something The Huffington Post once wrote about her, calling her “The Most Inspiring Woman in The World”.
For our conversation, Lolly and I discuss her new book called “The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness”.
In addition to a fascinating discussion on the nature of nature of intuition and why we follow (and should follow) our gut instincts, Lolly shares a number of interesting insights on leadership, including:
- By hiding emotions or memories we feel bad about, we hold ourselves back from living our true lives. – @LollyDaskal [Share on Twitter]
- In order to achieve our best, sometimes we have to rethink who we are more than what we’re doing. – @LollyDaskal [Share on Twitter]
- Our intuition comes from being willing to let go of what we know to let something new to take hold. – @LollyDaskal [Share on Twitter]
- Leaders need to spend less time talking and more time watching and listening to those they lead. – @LollyDaskal [Share on Twitter]
- How people respond to you is a very telling sign about what kind of a leader you really are. – @LollyDaskal [Share on Twitter]
These are, of course, only a handful of the thought-provoking ideas shared in this episode – in fact, Lolly shares a powerful message near the end of the show, so be sure to keep ears open for that kernel wisdom and insight.
As I mentioned at the end of this episode, I’d love to hear what you think about this episode, as well as what other topics you’d be interested in hearing more about in upcoming episodes of my show. Please share your thoughts and ideas by leaving a comment below or by filling out the contact form on my website.
- Buy Lolly Daskal’s book “Leadership Gap” on Amazon.com (or Amazon.ca for Canadian readers).
- Learn more about Lolly’s work and her writings at lollydaskal.com.
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness has become a national bestseller.