Ask a hundred people what great leadership looks like and you will probably get a hundred different answers.
But there’s only one truly important answer, and that’s the one that comes from within you.
As leaders, we need to hold ourselves accountable as we do others.
To accomplish that, we must assess our leadership from time to time.
Think of what kind of leader you want to be and then measure yourself against these questions: Do your actions express your true character?
- Do your actions express your true character?
- Do you lead by your values and your beliefs?
- Do you focus on what is important?
- Do you admit when you make mistakes?
- Do you take responsibility when you are wrong?
- Do you blame others for your mistakes?
- Do you hold yourself accountable for your actions?
- Do you lead with humility as much as influence?
- Do you work on your leadership skills?
- Do you make time for self-reflection?
- Do you take responsibility for your leadership?
- Do you work on your own leadership development?
- Do you measure up to who you want to be? If not, what will you do about it?
When you take the time to see how you measure up, you are opening yourself up to new opportunities for change and growth.
When you increase your capacity for self-awareness and self reflection, you increase your capacity for meaningful purpose.
Measuring ourselves, assessing our actions, evaluating our behavior—these things offer us endless opportunities to begin doing things differently.
Lead From Within: Great leadership is not something we experience, it is something we create—and that is why we must always see how we are measuring up.
N A T I O N A L B E S T S E L L E R
The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
After decades of coaching powerful executives around the world, Lolly Daskal has observed that leaders rise to their positions relying on a specific set of values and traits. But in time, every executive reaches a point when their performance suffers and failure persists. Very few understand why or how to prevent it.
Additional Reading you might enjoy:
- 12 Successful Leadership Principles That Never Grow Old
- A Leadership Manifesto: A Guide To Greatness
- How to Succeed as A New Leader
- 12 of The Most Common Lies Leaders Tell Themselves
- 4 Proven Reasons Why Intuitive Leaders Make Great Leaders
- The One Quality Every Leader Needs To Succeed
- The Deception Trap of Leadership
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Of Lolly’s many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc. magazine. Huffington Post honored Lolly with the title of The Most Inspiring Woman in the World. Her writing has appeared in HBR, Inc.com, Fast Company (Ask The Expert), Huffington Post, and Psychology Today, and others. Her newest book, The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness has become a national bestseller.